Saturday, February 9

Attitude

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a team, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.

Charles Swindoll


Would you agree? What's your attitude like? Are you one that makes the most of every day and situation, or do you complain and have a bad attitude? If you're the first, you know how great life can be. If you're the latter, try having a good attitude no matter what life throws at you. I guarantee you will be blessed because of it.

4 comments:

steve w said...

I think Swindoll is right. Not only is it often a difficult choice to have the right attitude, it is easy to be infected by others' bad attitudes. They can be like a plague spreading to other people.

Attitude is so important. I'm glad Swindoll said it, and I'm glad you posted it. Thanks.

MillerTime said...

While I think it's a little silly to say life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it I do agree that for the most part we can choose our attitude. But I would say it is not as easy as deciding to have a good attitude about everything. Swindoll seems to say that the past is not important but I think having a history of a certain attitude or of a certain reaction to events can make it like an ingrained response to where it comes naturally. I wouldn't say that's good or even bad, it just is and changing your attitude after maintaining the same one for years is no easy chore. I tend to have a bad attitude in quite a few areas and in most of them I think I could choose to have a more positive attitude but I don't think I could pull it off across the board.

-Jonathan

Anonymous said...

I very strongly agree with Swindoll that you get to choose your attitude and that is something you have complete control over -- where most things in life you don't. I also agree with Jonathan when he says it's not eassy to have a good attitude all the time because we are ingrained with certain responses. I don't, however, think that is an excuse for having a bad/negative attitude.

Amy

T-Dub said...

Although it may be hard to fully agree with, I think that we always have the choice over our attitude. No matter what happens to us, we are in control over our own attitude. We can't say that someone made us feel a certain way. Circumstances may cause certain feelings, but we are responsible for the way that we behave and the attitude we have. I do agree that it is hard to have a good attitude all the time. Trust me, being surrounded by complaining kids all day does not make it easy to have a positive attitude. I want to strive for a better attitude and trust that God will help me to have one.