Sunday, February 10

A Servant to All?

In 1 Corinthians 9 Paul talks about giving up his rights in order to preach the gospel. He says: "For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them...I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel."

Am I a servant to all? I mean, I make sacrifices for others. I serve in the youth group at church. I teach 5th graders- that's gotta be worth something. But really, I'm not a servant in the way Paul describes. He's talking about preaching the gospel. Sadly, I can't say that I really preach the gospel very much. Now I could go on and on about how horrible I've been and list some reasons why, but I'm not going to do that. What I am going to do is list some things that I will begin doing. I am telling you all this because I want and need your accountability. I can't change on my own.

1) I will have atleast one genuine conversation with my co-workers every day.
People need to know that someone cares about them. I may be the tool God uses to show his love and I don't want to miss that opportunity.

2) I will spend more time meditating on scripture and memorizing it.
The more familiar I am with God's word, the more likely it is to come out of my mouth. I want find ways to incorporate the gospel into my conversations.

3) I will pray for my unbelieving friends in faith that God will lead them to himself.
If anyone is going to accept Christ, it sure won't be because of anything I've done. The sole reason they can believe is because He allows it. I believe that He "desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Tim. 2:4)

4) I need to spend more time with my unbelieving friends.
How am I to share with them if I don't see them often enough to build a relationship? Why would they listen to what I have to say if they don't know what I'm all about? I need to strengthen those relationships-which will take more time and effort.

These are some things that I need to do so that I may win some for the sake of Christ. I would appreciate your encouragement and any insight or wisdom that you may be able to offer. Pray that I will be bold in sharing and that my words will be "gracious, seasoned with salt, so that I may know how to answer each person." (Col. 4:6)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Walker,

I just wanted to let you know that your last 2 posts have been a huge blessing to me! They both really spoke to me and I have made it my goal to memorize Ephesians 4:29 and live up to it by building others rather than tearing down. I had heard Chuck Swindoll talk about attitude in the past so it was good to be reminded by his wise words. Attitude can make the difference!

blessings to you!

In the Czech Republic "trenches"

Erik-